When you turn the system power switch on, a screen like the one at right will appear. Use the SELECT button or Control Pad to choose the game you want to play. Select 1 player game or 2 player game by moving the asterisk (*) with the Control Pad.
- 1 Player game A -- Beginner
- 1 Player game B -- Expert
- 2 Player game A -- Beginners
- 2 Player game B -- Experts
When you have decided on the game you want to play, press the START button or A/B button to begin your game. To return to the game selection screen once game is over, either press the RESET button or turn the power switch off and then on again.
Names of controller parts and operation instructions
- Controller 1 -- For playing alone.
- Controller 2 -- For second player in 2 player games.
- A Button: He Jumps.
- B Button: Not Used.
- Control Pad - Up: He Climbs up the Vines and Chains.
- Control Pad - Down: He Climbs Down the Vines and Chains.
- Control Pad - Left: He Runs to the Left.
- Control Pad - Right: He Runs to the Right.
- Start Button: Press this button to begin.
- Select and Start Buttons Are Not Used on Controller 2.
If you wish to interrupt play in the middle of a game, press the Start button. The pause tone will sound and the game will stop. Press the Start button again when you wish to continue playing. The game will continue where you left off.
- The Top score will reset to 0 if the reset button (on the control deck) is pressed or the power is turned off.
- Use Controller 1 for 1 Player games.
- Use Controller 1 and 2 for 2 Player games.
How to play
Jr.'s purpose: To steal the key from Mario and free his Papa.
- Rounds 1 to 3: Try to make it to the key at the top of the screen. If you jump onto the vine next to the key, the game will automatically advance to the next round.
- Round 4: Push the six keys up and insert them into the key holes at the top of the screen. The chains on the cage will then fall off, and Papa can be rescued.
- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Jr.
Use these three special techniques to speed up the action.
- Climb up quickly by grabbing onto two vines at once.
- Slide down quickly by holding onto one vine.
- High Jump (Round 2): A well-timed press of the "A" button will allow you to jump all the way to the moving island using the springboard.
You can gain points by picking up things dropped by Pauline (parasol and purse).
Additional points for getting fruit. Drop the fruit on the enemy. Knock out several bad guys at once and get a special high score!
When you reach the key, bonus points are added to your score. The bonus points you get depend on how long it takes you to reach the key; the longer you take, the lower the bonus. Time runs out at the same time the bonus points go to zero, and Junior is finished.
Jump over a nitpicker or spark to successfully escape their attack and get additional points.
Additional Points with the Keys (Round 4)
Additional points are given for each key inserted into a keyhole. You can insert two keys at once using both hands.
BONUS: If your score goes over 20,000, you get an extra Junior.
Watch out for the following: getting bitten by a snapjaw, getting pecked by a nitpicker, colliding with a spark, and falling from a vine. Each time one of these happens, one Junior disappears. When all Juniors are gone, the game is over.
After clearing the fourth round and saving Papa, the first loop is over. Next, challenge the second loop. The number of enemies and their speed increases. Compete to see who gets the highest score or the highest loop!